There are three reasons why this book came into being. First, throughout the 33 years I’ve been writing recipes – although I’m not vegetarian myself – I have greatly enjoyed creating vegetarian recipes, and cooking and serving them at home. (Delia Smith)
It was National Vegetarian Week a couple of weeks ago and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do some experimenting. My favourite dish I created over the course of the 7 days was my falafel burgers. They are really easy to make – as long as you have a blender or food processor! Here is the recipe.
For the burger
1 x 400 gr. can of chick peas, rinsed, drained and patted dry with some kitchen roll
1/2 a red onion, chopped as small as possible
1 stalk of celery, chopped as small as possible A handful of chopped fresh parsley or coriander
6-10 sun dried tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, crushed and chopped small
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. rice flour
1 tsp. chopped fresh red chilli (you can leave this out) Salt and pepper
For the bun
2 tbsp. mango chutney
2 tortilla wraps
extra oil for frying
- Add all the ingredients for the burger into a food processor and blend until smooth. (This may take a while and you may need to stop the blender and push the ingredients down so it all mixes together).
- If the mixture is slightly wet, add a little more rice flour Shape into 4 burgers with your hands. They will be the size of a cupcake.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Heat the wraps up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Spread one tablespoonful of mango chutney on each wrap.
- Add two burgers to each wrap and serve.
- I use food gloves when shaping the burgers.
- You could add a side salad and some chutney to create a more substantial meal. This would work better for anyone who is on a Gluten Free diet as you would not need the tortilla wraps.