Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose (Karl Lagerfeld)
This week I have chosen a simple, tasty and healthy recipe to share with you. Here it is:
1 x 420 gram can of mixed beans (I use mixed beans in mild chilli sauce by Sainsburys)
2 x 400 gram cans of peeled plum tomatoes
1 x 165 gram can of sweetcorn
1x 425 gram can of baked beans (you can use the value brand for this)
Approximately 220 grams of frozen mixed peppers
1 large carrot
1 large courgette
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
2 tsp. Cajun spice
Salt and peppers to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil
- In a deep sided large frying pan, heat up the olive oil.
- Add the frozen peppers to the pan once the oil is heated.
- Whilst the peppers are cooking, chop the carrots, courgette and onion into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Crush and chop the garlic up as small as you can and add to the pan.
- Fry the veg for about 10 minutes.
- Open up all the cans.
- First add the can of mixed beans and stir.
- Then add the sweetcorn and stir.
- Pour the can of beans into a sieve and place under some cold water to wash away the tomato sauce. Add to the pan and stir.
- Finally add the two cans of plum tomatoes, break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and stir so all the veg are covered in the tomato sauce.
- If the veg are not covered, add some more water.
- Add the Cajun spice and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until you a happy with the consistency.
- Eat on its own or accompanied with rice or pasta.
- If you like spice, add more Cajun or some hot chilli powder.
- Try sprinkling some grated cheese on it as well. Delicious!